In Dr. Amen's book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" and he offers in chapter 10 THE SLEEP SOLUTION, "Tips To Help You Go To Sleep And Stay Asleep".
TIPS TO HELP YOU GO TO SLEEP AND STAY ASLEEP
Here are twelve ways to make it easier to drift to dreamland and get a good night's sleep. Remember that we are all unique individuals and what works for one person may not work for another. Keep trying new techniques until you find something that works.
1. Maintain a regular sleep schedule - going to bed at the same time each night and waking up at the same time each day, including ion weekends. Get up at the same time each day regardless of sleep duration the previous night.
2. Create a soothing nighttime routine that encourages sleep. A warm bath, mediation or message can help you relax.
3. Some people like to read themselves to sleep. If you are reading, make sure ir isn’t an action-packed thriller or a horror story – they aren’t likely to help you drift off to sleep.
4. Don’t take naps! This is one of the biggest mistakes you can make if you have insomnia. Taking naps when you feel sleepy during the day compounds the nighttime cycle disruption.
5. Sound therapy can induce a very peaceful mood and lull you to sleep. Consider soothing nature sounds, soft music, wind chimes, or even a fan.
6. Drink a mixture of warm milk, a teaspoon of vanilla (the real stuff, not imitation) and a few drops of stevia. This increases serotonin in your brain and helps you sleep.
7. Take computers, video games, and cell phones out of the bedroom and turn them off an hour or two before bedtime to allow time to “unwind” .
8. Don’t eat for at least two to three hours before you go to bed.
9. Regular exercise is very beneficial for falling asleep and staying asleep, but don’t do it within four hours of the time you hit the sack. Vigorous exercise late into the evening may energize you and keep you awake.
10. Don’t drink any caffeinated beverages in the late afternoon or evening. Also avoid Chocolate, nicotine, and alcohol – especially at night. Although alcohol can initially make you sleepy, it interrupts sleep.
11. If you wake up in the middle of the night, refrain from looking at the clock. Checking the time can make you feel anxious, which aggravates the problem.
12. Use the bed and bedroom only for sleep or sexual activities. Sexual activities releases many natural hormones, releases muscle tension and boosts a sense of well-being. Adults with healthy sex lives tend to sleep better. When you are unable to fall asleep or return to sleep easily, get up and go into another room.
It is a wonderful chapter and book. Wish you well!